Saturday, October 14, 2006

The times they are a-changin'!

I actually have a reason for not posting lately. I started a new job 2 weeks ago now, and so things have been fairly crazy leading up to that and since. But the dust seems to be settling a bit now, and it's all good. So far, anyway.

I'm a computer geek, and the company I worked for sold the software product I've been helping develop for the last several years. I liked working on what I was working on, so I went with it and now I work for the new company that bought the product. I'm still doing basically the same thing, and with most of our old development team intact, which is a good thing. And now I'm at a much smaller company than before, which is a very good thing. I started my career at a 12 person company and my last company has over 1000 people, and I can tell you that size does matter! And you may disagree, but I say smaller is better.

So after 2 weeks now we pretty much have the key people we need to move forward with this, and I'm in a new building that is easier to get to, and I still get to wear jeans and a tee shirt to work any damn time I want to. And I no longer share a building locked in a war of wills with that cadre of insane women who spent all summer whining about how hot they were and cranking the thermostat down to 69 degrees. Hello... maybe don't wear a sweater to work when it's over 100 degrees outside! Especially when other people (me) are wearing summer-appropriate clothes!!!!

The only issue with the new situation so far is that I'm now in a fairly high-profile position. Impressive, eh? Except not really, because what I really mean to say is that my cube faces out onto the corner of 2 main walkways, and everyone walking by can see my computer screen. There's no rule about surfing or anything, but I'm still pretty self conscious about how much time I can spend reading blogs while I'm at work. That's all I need is to be known as that new guy who just farts around on the internet all day. But the good news is that our little product group is a seperate business unit from the rest of the company and so we will move into our own space in a few months. Then I'll either be back in my own office or at least a less-travelled cube, and then I won't be so visible, and can read all your blogs without paranoia. But fear not, I'll still work, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon- you have to tell everyone about what's in the fridge!

jonnynono said...

Oh yeah, they keep the fridge stocked with beer, with official Friday beer time starting at 4. But really it's fair game any day after 5 and on Fridays at 3-ish or so. I like a laid-back atmosphere, so this works for me!

bladio said...

mmmmmmm beeeeeeer.

do you get free pop?

jonnynono said...

Pop's a buck. But there's talk of free pop after we move. We'll see, I guess.

Anonymous said...

HELLO!!!!!
The times they are a-changin, but the posts, they are a-not!

kww said...

Hey--the great thing about not checking blogs in a long time is there are so many new posts! Two new ones for me to find here today.

I haven't checked my erpsonal stuff at work at all yet. I am sharing an office so it would be really obvious. I am looking forward to having my own space. I still haven't even taken photos up yet.

Katie